2012年3月24日星期六

Beats By DreIt's Hard to be a Saint in the City

It's Hard to be a Saint in the City[entries]

[ userinfo ]
[ archive ]

Links
[Links: ]

[Oct. 31st, 201002:49 pm]
I woke up naturally and fully rested at 9:30 AM today, please don't let this be the start of the inevitable life change that everyone goes through where they can't sleep in until two or three in the afternoon :(

Anyway, there was one guy I wish I'd gotten a picture of, dressed as Mussolini, with a sign that read, "Why is it always Hitler?" but I didn't.

()

This entry was originally posted at . Please comment there using a DW login or OpenID.

[Nov. 4th,Beats By Dre, 200910:43 pm]
[Tags]

Hello, Yuletide Writer.

First, thank you. Thanks for choosing one of my fandoms, and thanks for coming to take a look to see what kinds of things I'd want to see. I hope I'm not too demanding, and with the exception of the "I won't read this" list (it's short, promise!), pretty much everything under the cut is more guideline, less mandatory.

()

And that's that. In short, I like ship fic but gen is great and will be much loved, character bashing is not my favorite ever, and I'll read almost anything as long as it doesn't involve poop. Again, I hope what I've written isn't too demanding, and I hope I haven't confused the hell out of you. Happy writing, and thanks again.

[Aug. 7th, 200906:21 pm]
[Tags]



It looks like Wile E. Coyote to me.

[Jun. 24th, 200908:46 pm]
()

[Feb. 3rd, 200912:00 am]
[Tags, ]
[Current Mood sleepysleepy]

I am dead tired. But! I have songs! They are tinny but you should try them out anyway.

- Agora 1978. This is from one of those legendary Darkness era shows. It's 10 minutes long, and just over 4 minutes of the song is the intro. This song - a lot of the songs from that tour - show just how frustrating an album Darkness On the Edge of Town really is; it's good, it's fine, but once you hear the live cuts, you can't really believe they ever released it as is. Honestly, the intro alone is worth the download. It's all Roy Bittan on piano and Bruce on guitar. The last three minutes is nothing to sneeze at either.

- Jacksonville 1977 (I think). Uh, 1977 through 1988 were kind of shitty years for Bruce. In 1977, they were touring after his first producer had fucked him over a bit, and there was a lawsuit, and blah. So Backstreets, which was already about betrayal, got some very raw sounding stories incorporated in the live performances for a while. They were all along the same theme of betrayal, but there were different details in many of them. Some of them were just general sadness or anger at the betrayal. This track is suicidal.

- Columbus 2008. An old song, a newer performance. Possibly my favorite live outro of this song, one of my favorite performances. It's really a young man's song, but he wasn't phoning it in. Bruce in storyteller mode.

Tomorrow, maybe some solo tracks. Or later today, I suppose.

[Feb. 2nd, 200912:08 am]
[Tags, ]

A while ago, I did a picspam series on Bruce Springsteen, Patti Scialfa, and Clarence Clemons.






I think this week, I'll be uploading some of my favorite bootleg tracks. Some of them will have great sound quality, some of them will be iffy sound-wise, but they'll all be mostly fun or interesting tracks, I think. I won't just stick with the ESB stuff, because I really do like the solo stuff and the folk band stuff (I think I'll leave the 90s band alone, though). And because they're bootlegs,Vibram 5 Fingers Shoes, it's perfectly all right to pass them around - so if you want to pass them around, feel free. I'm thinking, two or three a night? I might even throw a studio boot in there.

[Nov. 5th, 200809:57 pm]
So now there's a rumor that Rahm Emanuel is in the running for Obama's CoS. What? The inspiration for Josh Lyman is in the running to be chief of staff to the inspiration for Matt Santos? If John McCain gets tapped for SecState, I will eat my shoe. Meanwhile, if Emanuel gets that job, does this mean this would be the hottest White House ever? (The answer: yes.)

One reason I'm sad I didn't bring a camera with me to the WH last night: some Georgetown students had put up a small banner that read, "Welcome home Malia and Sasha," and by today, it had been taken down. But walking past the WH tonight, there were some cops there like normal,Beats By Dre, and there were some random passers-by as usual, and one of the passers-by asked one of the cops, "Did you see a lot of people here last night?" The cop: "A few." I think WaPo put the number over 1,000.

So the Newseum does this thing where they put the front page of the day's newspapers up in display cases for people to read. They do it every day. Some days are more interesting than others.

()

I totally would have put them up on the LJ Scrapbook app, but that was taking a billion years just to upload one picture. So, unfortunately, Tinypic was the way to go.

[Nov. 4th, 200811:25 pm]
[Current Mood giddygiddy]



()

[Aug. 25th, 200807:01 pm]
[Current Mood boredbored]

I've seen this meme on a couple people's LJs, and I think it could work for me since I keep writing a few pages of new fic and then stuttering to a halt. I mean, I think I can finish one line, at least.

So: Give me a character or pairing (and if you're feeling daring,Moncler, a prompt) and I'll write you one line of fic. Fandoms include The West Wing, House, Buffy, I guess Psych even though I've never truly written it, ditto due South, ditto the E Street Band (probably the only RPF I can do, except maybe random ESB member/random other celebrity). Could likely swing Doctor Who as well.

ETA: Apparently I can't limit myself to one line. I guess you get teeny tiny ficlets.

[Jun. 29th, 200810:41 pm]
[Tags]
[Current Mood awakeawake]
[Current Music Coldplay - Viva La Vida]

()

There wasn't much of a point to any of that.

[May. 11th, 200812:47 am]
[Tags, ]



That is all.

[Apr. 24th, 200801:45 am]
A few songs from the Tampa show on 4/22:

1. - they opened with it after showing a video tribute. Word of warning, if you're totally sensitive, keep a box of tissues handy.
2. - I may have gone, "Holy fuck, Max, don't murder your kit," at the end there.
3. - it's pretty good. At the end he thanks everyone for their prayers and condolences, then leads into
4. - using the angels line instead of the waitress line. Roy does well, but holy crap, he's not the right accordion player for this.
5. - It's just good, that's all. Roy is always the right piano player for this.
6. - sorry, I just love this song. Audience gets to sing part of the chorus in the beginning. Steven's vocal solo at the end is great (I know they've been doing it on this leg, but I hadn't heard it yet).
7. - this has the food bank thing at the start, but then goes into I'll Fly Away, with Garry on an upright bass and Max on a tambourine.

All of these songs were converted to MP3 from the lossless files uploaded on Jungleland, which I think came from Dime user vegetated.

[Mar. 31st, 200810:07 pm]
[Tags]

()

I got some pics from the kite festival, but they came out pretty awful, unfortunately. There were some very cute kites, but mostly they were store-bought and not hand-made.

[Mar. 29th, 200801:17 am]
So this evening was good enough for a walk around the tidal basin and monuments and stuff! Unfortunately, I ended up losing track of time and totally walked for over two hours in shoes that were not meant to be walked in for more than one. But I did get some okay pictures - apparently I really liked the clouds? Maybe more on that later, I don't know.

But ()

Maybe I'll have a couple photos from today tomorrow, or whenever. But now, bed. And tomorrow, more bed.

[Mar. 27th, 200810:16 pm]
is a really silly, fun little article, but I'm not sure if I'd laugh or cry if it were to somehow come true. Don't get me wrong, I love Al Gore, but after a woman and a black man duke it out for the nomination for months, a white dude still managing to get it would be weird, to say the least.

This weekend looks like shit for getting out and getting some pictures of the cherry blossoms. Today was too, all gray and nasty, the kind of day where you're hoping that it rains and it really doesn't want to. Tomorrow, I'll go take a picture of the Colbert portrait before it leaves for wherever it is that it leaves for. Maybe Sunday will be okay, but it's still going to be cold early in the morning, and there's no way I'm going out later when the crowds get there.

Still, got a pic for shits and giggles today: ()

Less serious meanwhile: load Springsteen video. Skip to 4:45. Watch a then-53 year old man flip himself upside down on a mic stand like a stripper on a pole (picture ). Enjoy.

[Feb. 3rd, 200809:04 pm]
[Current Mood boredboring]

I am officially the most boring person in the universe right now. Ask me about taxation! Ask me about C corporations versus partnerships! No, don't, please, I beg you. I'm really glad I only have to take one class on federal taxation, because this may well be the most boring topic in accounting in the history of all accounting.

Barely watching the Super Bowl. I guess I'm just in it for the commercials again this year (which, hi, I'm not using SalesGenie, thanks commercials for letting me know). And House after. Apparently someone's frozen.

I may be the last person to link this video, but just in case you haven't seen it yet, . I don't even think you have to be a Democrat to find it moving.

Look! A ! Let it distract you from how dull I am. (That is not dial-up safe, p.s.)

[Jan. 31st, 200810:33 pm]
[Tags]

()

[Jan. 25th, 200810:57 pm]
[Tags]

25.

When I went up to New York City
And I've been out the Chicago loop
Still buddy one place that I found truth
When I sailed down the Mississippi
Well I gambled in New Orleans
Still no finer site I ever seen


A Steel Mill song. This sounds almost nothing like Bruce, vocally or lyrically, except he totally breaks this voice out every now and then (and used to do it more during the Darkness tour). Watch out for the dueling Bruce & Danny guitar and organ solos just past the halfway mark. Really stellar hard little song.


[Jan. 24th,Coach Outlet, 200810:35 pm]
[Tags]

24.

Well things ain't been the same in Heaven
Ever since big bad Bobby came to town
He's been known to down eleven
And then ask for another round
And me I got scabs on my knees
From kneeling way too long
I gotta take a stand, be the man, up where you belong
And forget about the old friends and the old times
Because there's just too many new boys
Tryin' to work the same line


Ignore the fact that he misuses the subjunctive in the title. It was written in 1970-71ish, and the lyrics are a little dense, but he's basically cast the holy trinity and all their buddies in some anarchic western here. Pretty much, Bruce hated Catholic school, and says it in this song (he says other things too, but damn did he ever hate Catholic school).


[Jan. 23rd, 200810:59 pm]
[Tags]

23.

I know the danger that your desire brings
And I know the strangeness that you'll find
Wait and it will seem straighter for you and for me
Well turn on the end and baby turn off the lamps
There'll be an end darling to your endless night
On the wrong side of the street


This is a nice, upbeat sounding Darkness outtake that sounds like it's basically the same story as Born to Run, which may be why it's an outtake now I think about it. It's a common enough theme in those first three albums, of trying to escape; by the time Darkness rolled around, with all those runaways now grown up a bit but still mostly living the lives they'd wanted to escape, I guess this song was just a little too young to fit in. Good song, though, just wrong for the album.


navigation
[viewingmost recent entries]
[go]
Related articles:

没有评论:

发表评论